Skip to content


Event Services provides event set-up and support for the Campus Community.


*** All event support requests must be submitted through Citizenserve, a minimum of 10 business days in advance of the event. **


Campus Policy Regarding The Use of University Properties and Event Arrangements


FM Event Presentation


Planning your event as far in advance as possible and communicating with all associated service providers is critical.

There must be adequate lead time depending upon event size.

  • As an example, events that are indoors, within a classroom, during normal operating hours typically require a minimum of 2 weeks' notification.
  • Events that are outdoors with food, tables, and/or entertainment typically require a minimum of 3 months’ notification.

All events, small or large, require submission of a Special Event Permit Application through Citizenserve. FM cannot provide support without a Special Event Permit.

The event sponsor is responsible for contacting all service providers and obtaining their approvals. Hosting a logistics meeting is the best way to meet with all service providers to review the support needed for the event.

Events are generally supported on a first-come, first-served basis. FM reserves the right to prioritize work.

FM will work with customers to determine the best mix and scheduling of staff to support their event. The top priority is to accomplish all tasks in a timely manner and to standard. FM reserves the right to determine the most economical mix of resources for all events but will not sacrifice employee well-being or safety.

Any event that occurs must have a UC Merced sponsor responsible for all aspects of coordination, preparation, execution, and clean-up. This sponsor is responsible for the actions of the groups invited to Campus. Any damage that occurs can be billed to the sponsor. This sponsor must be a faculty or staff member, cannot be a student, and must be present for the entire event, monitoring all activity. This is especially important as it relates to monitoring people entering unlocked areas.

Generally, student club events that are small in scope require a responsible person to be present for the entire event, and that person may be a club officer.

Any University equipment used for an event that is lost, stolen, or damaged, the event sponsor will be charged appropriately for all repairs and/or replacements. This includes wind damage to easy-ups.

Events through the Office of Student Involvement require that an OSI Staff submit the Special Event Permit.

If an event requires equipment such as tables and chairs, FM will provide them in numbers up to our current stock. If demand exceeds our supply, the customer will be referred to a rental agency for all equipment. FM will not mix any University equipment with any rented equipment.

Any event conducted for or by the University, regardless of division or department, is chargeable under the current recharge policies and procedures.


Billing Practices

  • FM abides by all University of California policies and procedures as they relate to recharging internal UC organizations and directly charging external organizations.
  • Generally, customers are billed for actual hours worked down to the closest 1/4 hour of work. Breakdowns lower than 1/4 hour are not allowed.
  • Any work required outside the normal workday Monday - Friday (generally 8 am to 5 pm), weekends, and holidays recognized by the UC will be charged at time-and-a-half.
  • Weekend, holiday work, or after-hour work requires a two-hour minimum per person. If the work involves setting up before the event and a breakdown after, there is a charge for each two-hour block in which work was done.

Event sponsors can request an estimate prior to their event by requesting one on their Special Event Permit Application.

Generally, if FM does not provide the work requested for the event, there is no charge. If any work is done, and the customer has a concern about the quality or scope, this should be raised immediately by the event sponsor with the senior FM staff present or contact FMHelp to resolve any issues. If work is done and issues are raised after the fact, FM will make every effort to address concerns, but all charges will stand and must be paid.


We stand committed to providing the best possible service at a reasonable rate.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:

Ernie SolanoT: 209-201-6596 | E:



Additional resources:

Billing Questions and Answers


Events hosted by external agencies require a Facilities Use Agreement managed by Hospitality Services.

Event notification for Students through the Office of Student Involvement